Archive for November 7th, 2023

Part 1: Having Adequate Insurance Protects You As Well As Others

Nov 2023

House insurance form for homeowners and model of home.

Property Insurance for Homeowners and Tenants

October and November are the beginning of cooler weather for Western New York. Shorter days, falling leaves, rain, wind, sleet, and snow create an increased risk of potential damage to your premises as well as an increased risk of potential injury to visitors to your premises, perhaps due to poor lighting, slippery conditions, or other hazards.

With winter approaching, not only is now a good time to prepare your premises for winter but also to review your property insurance and make sure you have adequate coverage.

What’s covered under a homeowner/tenant policy?

Standard homeowner and tenant policies typically include property, liability, theft, and medical payments coverage.

Liability insurance covers bodily injury to others, including injuries caused by most pets; damage to property of others; and medical expenses for the injured person.

Unfortunately, liability insurance limits can be insufficient to compensate the injured person, leaving the homeowner/tenant unprotected as the homeowner/tenant is personally responsible for claims that cost more than their liability limits.

Thus, it is a good idea to consider increasing the liability limits and/or taking out an umbrella policy.

Homeowner/tenant policies in New York State also can cover perils such as:

  • bodily injury to others, including injuries caused by most pets
  • damage to the property of others
  • civil judgments
  • medical payments to others
  • personal property (at home)
  • personal property (away)
  • additional living expenses (if forced to live away from home temporarily)
  • falling objects
  • weight of ice, snow, and sleet
  • damage resulting from an accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire sprinkler system
  • freezing of plumbing systems
  • electrical damage to appliances
  • fire, lightning, and smoke damage
  • windstorm and hail
  • burglary and theft
  • explosion
  • glass breakage
  • vehicle or aircraft damage
  • riot and civil commotion
  • vandalism and malicious mischief
  • flood insurance is separate and can be purchased from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Your insurance agent should be able to assist you with any coverage questions and/or to increase your liability limits.

Contact the Law Offices of James Morris

If you or someone you know has been injured due to a hazard or defect on premises, contact the Law Offices of James Morris today. We hold property owners responsible when they don’t keep their premises safe.

The information contained in this communication is provided for informational purposes only and should not be constituted as advice on any subject matter.